Saturday, May 8, 2010

Peachy Chicken

We have been home from the hospital with Baby Byrd for about 4 days and sleep has definitely not been on the menu.  What has been is a hodge podge of family cooked frozen food for us to heat when needed.  It has all been great.  Thank you everyone for the quick delicious meals. One great thing I have found about odd hour feeding times it gives me a lot of time to watch food network.  This morning before I left for work I saw Rachel Ray make a dinner called A Little Bit Country.  A great looking meal that I have been waiting to cook all day.  I will first state that I have not always been a fan of Rachel, but that is starting to change.  I need quick good meals these days and well 30 minutes is pretty quick.

Here is my take on her Chicken and Peaches

Butter
Canned peaches, I couldn't find fresh ones
1/2 lemon, juiced
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
6 Boneless skinless chicken thighs
Salt and Pepper
1 Shallot
3/4 cup Chicken Stock
2/3 cup Peach Preserves
Hot Sauce
Worcestershire Sauce


I started by adding some olive oil in a sautee pan, then added in the chicken thighs.  I would like to say that I really wanted to grill real thighs, but I was on a dinner deadline of serving before 8, feeding time. I stuck to the boneless ones.  Cooked them until done then removed them from the pan and placed them in the oven to stay warm.  Next came the shallots, chicken stock and preserves.  I let this simmer for about 5 minutes making sure to get all of the goodies off the bottom of the pan.  Then I added in the hot sauce, not really sure how much, about  a tablespoon.  Then the Worcestershire sauce, not measured either, probably 2-3 tablespoons.

Since I didn't have fresh peaches I strained the ones from the can and rinsed them to remove the syrup.   Then into a pan with a little butter and the lemon juice to heat through.

Chicken out of the oven and onto a platter.  I garnished with the peach slices then covered in the sauce.
 
This was a great main dish that I will make again.  The peach and chicken combination was delicious. Next time I will marinate some real thighs and get them on the grill then baste with a similar peach sauce.  This also got me thinking about a apple sauce made the same way paired with some sort of pork.

The side dish tonight was Sweet Onion Potatoes Au Gratin.  I will blog this later in the week.  They too were outstanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment