Tuesday, June 22, 2010

BGE Pizza and a little more.

When I started writing Macon Dinner I was in between working for a restaurant and buying one.  I had plenty of time to cook anything I could think of.  Byrd was pregnant and we were anxiously awaiting the birth of Baby Byrd.  Wow how things have changed.  We opened the restaurant and then eight days later Baby Byrd was ready.  Since then life has not been the same, it has been better.  I remember when I was a child and my mom and dad said "you will never understand how much we love you until you have your own."  I now understand and it's amazing.

I have been cooking, but just haven't had the time to put it into words.  I am still reading blogs and enjoying all of them immensely.  Chris, Nibble Me This, you continue to inspire and  thanks for all the Egg info.  Dave, MYOTG, I not only enjoy your food but envy your lifestyle.  Grey, Grill Knuckles, we share not only a taste for food, but also beverages.  Brent, Brent's BGE, being on of my oldest friends I am amazed at the cook you have become.  Dave, Food-Fire, first food blog I read, thank you for showing me the way.  

Just a few shout outs to say thanks. Now on to the recent cook.

I have had pizza more times in my life than I would ever try to count.  I have discussed this in the past.  The other night I tried a pizza on the BGE.  (I still haven't come up with a name for her, yes it is a her, yet, but I will.)  I wanted to make my own crust as I have seen it done, but didn't have the time, and lately dinner preparation is lacking.  I went to Papa Murphy's and grabbed one.  If you don't have one in your area I am sorry.  Now I didn't make the pizza, but I did pick out the toppings.  That has to count for something, right?  I went with a pepperoni, onion and jalapeño pizza.  I read the instructions on their website on how to grill a pizza, well it wasn't very specific.  So I decided to kinda wing it. I got the Egg up to 450, with the plate setter legs down, I am  still trying to get my lEGGuage down, pizza stone on top.  I bought the stone the day after getting the egg.  A month ago.  Sad it has just been sitting waiting to be used.
Per the manager at Papa Murphy's I cooked it on the tray given for the first ten minutes, then removed the tray and placed the pie directly on the stone.  At this point the cheese was melted and the crust was set.
Byrd and I like really crispy crust, so I let it go at 450 for another 25 minutes.  
The cheese had a great crust on the top, with a great smoky flavor.  The crust was crispy on the outside with a nice soft inside.  All pizza should be wood fired. I doubt I will ever put a pizza in the oven again.  Next time I will make a homemade crust, I hope.


5 comments:

  1. Oh John, that looks a.may.zing! Can you make that at the reunion?? :D Do you have golf clubs? IF so, bring them with you-the guys normally golf. How is my Letta bug? She still looks so much like you! I want to kiss her lips, cause as sister says, if you're family you can do that! :D
    Love ya!! See ya next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the shout out. Glad you joined the BGE cult. Looks like you've got it figured out as that pizza looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I know that feeling. And if you DO use the oven again, maybe on a rainy day, you will be sorely disappointed. Even with a stone in the oven, it is not the same as an Egged pizza. That smokiness and crispiness rock! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. John, thanks for the shout out. I love you and I am hoping for the best for you, your family, and your restaurant.

    Pizza on the BGE is one of my favs. Making your own crust is fun and infuriating. The constant pursuit of perfection! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good-lookin' pizza! My buddy in town here with an Egg has done it while I watched, but I have yet to try it on my own Egg. It might be just about time.

    Thanks for the shout out. I raise my glass. Good luck with Baby Byrd and the restaurant. I know about the kid business, but not restaurants. You sound like a busy man!

    ReplyDelete