Monday, February 1, 2010

Smoked Chicken Salad

After a long weekend in the woods and a few days without a shower, I thought we should have something simple for dinner. I was a little wrong about the amount of food we were cooking over the weekend. Instead of 10lbs. of chicken leg quarters we cooked 30lbs. So there was a little leftover. I hate to see food go to waste, and around me it seldom does. Chicken salad is a great way to use leftover bird, and I have never made it out of smoked chicken so why not. I pulled the chicken off the bone and removed some of the skin.
Now chicken salad has always been a favorite of mine, and the best to me is simple. Chicken, mayonnaise(Hellman's only please), celery, salt and pepper. This is how my grandmother and mom have made it. And they make the best in the world. This is not my opinion it is a fact. Theirs is just that good, but this wasn't your ordinary chicken so it needed a little spicing up. While I was pulling the chicken the "in laws" stopped by to visit, and I thought 4 heads are better than 2 so we hung out in the kitchen and this is what we came up with. The pulled chicken, diced pickles and celery, Hellman's, salt and pepper, a boiled egg. I will say that it turned out delicious. The smoke flavor of the chicken came through but was not over powering.

Around here we don't just eat a salad for dinner. So with the theme of my weekend we took some left over BBQ bread and and toasted it in a pan with some butter. I added my cousin MR's mustard base sauce to my bread and some Wickles slices, if you don't know what these are ask your grocer to please order some for you, and that was my sandwich. All in all it was a great way to end the weekend. Weekends away are needed and well deserved, but there is nothing like being at home.







2 comments:

  1. Wow, bro this looks amazing! I'm sure my parents were oh so helpful-they probably drank all your beer and ate most of the salad! :D
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took me awhile to realize your blog title was, literally, "Making Dinner". I'm kind of slow in that way.

    That slow-cooker looks like something any testosterone-toting male would totes enjoy! I'm a big fan of smoked pork, my dad smokes it for 12 hours and puts a vinegar-based bbq sauce on it. Not bad for a Yankee that learned his tricks in Tennessee, no?

    The smoked chicken salad looks amazing! Keep documenting the kitchen adventures and put a picture of your pretty wife on the blog every once in awhile!

    ReplyDelete