Friday, March 12, 2010

Brinner

Brinner (I heard this term on Scrubs, one of my favorite TV shows) is breakfast for dinner.  Growing up I lived across the street from my grandparents and at least once a month she would have everyone over for supper, as she called it, and it was breakfast.  This was one of my favorite night/nights of the month.  I am not sure if she used pancake mix, I doubt she did, but I always have.  Tonight that changes.  I looked through a few cookbooks and decided to go with the buttermilk pancakes recipe from "the all-new ultimate Southern Living Cookbook."  The batter was thicker than the usual pancakes, which come from the Aunt Jemima box, but I guess that is to be expected.
Another component of tonights Brinner is country scrambled eggs.  My mom calls them this, so I do as well.  Brown a little butter, then let the egg whites cook before breaking the yolk.  Then scramble.  Add cheese if wanted, Byrd wanted.
 I wanted to try something a little different so I dipped half a slice of bacon in the pancake batter, just to see how it would taste. Not that it can be bad, its bacon.
All together now.
I am glad I tried the non box pancakes, not that box pancakes are bad, these were just much better. Around here we have brinner a good bit, so I am anxious to try more things inside pancake mix, such as sausage or just more bacon.  I wonder if you could bake the batter in a muffin cup with several different fillings?  May have to try that soon.

1 comment:

  1. So, did you fry the bacon with the batter on it>> interesting brother. I love ya det and me miss..............

    ReplyDelete