Tuesday, March 30, 2010

New Smoker and Firehouse Chicken

About a week ago I came across a free smoker.  I know there is no such thing as free, but this truly was a free smoker, thanks Matt.  I love new toys, especially free ones.  It came with all the parts, even a cover, and doesn't look like it has been used much.  It is a New Braunfels Company Smoker, well that is what the cover said, the actual lettering on the smoker itself has worn off.  I couldn't find out much about it, other than NB Smoker Co. sold to CharBroil in 2002, closing its plant in Texas and moving production to Georgia.  This particular smoker was discontinued as far as I can tell.  Here is the new addition to the family.  It was raining the day I brought her home, and I had to take pictures so she was inside.
Now that Byrd likes chicken thighs, thanks to Pickapeppa Chicken, that is what she asked for tonight for dinner.  I am a happy guy.  I recently bought a bottle of Firehouse Subs Captain Sorenson's Datil Pepper Sauce.  It is great on their subs, but I new it had a more potential than just a sub topper.  I marinated 4 chicken thighs in it for about 2 hours.  Removed it from the marinade and let it sit uncovered in the fridge while the fire got going.  
I placed a one grate on the 6 setting above the fire.  I wanted good crispy skin, but did not want the sugars in the sauce to burn.  I placed them skin side down for 20 minutes then flipped them and let them go for about 40 minutes more.  We were having corn on the cob with dinner so I wrapped them in foil and placed them on the grate above the fire when I flipped the chicken, not wanting to make the same mistake again.  The chicken came off when the internal temp of the largest piece was 165.  The corn came off with the chicken.

We also got some great asparagus to go with dinner.  Very simple a little olive oil, cavenders, and balsamic vinegar.  I cooked them under the broiler for about 5 minutes.
The chicken was delicious, I will marinate it a little longer next time, but the flavor of the sauce did come through.  Corn was actually done this time, and the nice crisp asparagus is a great companion on the plate.  I am glad I got a feel for the new smoker.  Right now there are two butts on it.  I am doing a test on the flavor difference of an injected butt with dry rub, and one with just rub.  Should be interesting.  Stay tuned for the results.

4 comments:

  1. That is a great find, I can't believe how lucky you were on this one. It looks like it's in good shape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog for the giveaway! So cool that you got a free smoker. I would love one (not that I have anywhere to put it...).

    This meal looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make me want to re-think this whole Vegan thing! lol! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!! I definitely loved every little bit of it. I have you bookmarked your site to check out the new stuff you post. Best Smoker Grills in 2018

    ReplyDelete